Ph. D. Students
- Kristian Hiorth, congestion control in RINA (see the OCARINA project for more details).
- Runa Barik, measuring the impact of middleboxes on Internet traffic (see the fling webpage).
- Safiqul Islam, coupled congestion control.
- Humaira Ijaz, "Fewest Common Hops (FCH): An Improved Peer Selection Approach for P2P Applications", 2nd examiner Burkhard Stiller, defense passed on 27 July 2016 at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
- Naeem Khademi, "Reducing Latency in Internet Access Links with Mechanisms in Endpoints and within the Network", co-advisor Stein Gjessing, defense passed on 18 June 2015 at the University of Oslo, Norway. Opponents: J÷rg Ott and Colin Perkins.
- Michael Schier, "Realtime Distortion Estimation based Error Control for Live Video Streaming", 2nd examiner David Hutchison, defense passed on 23 May 2012 at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
- Dragana Damjanovic, "Parallel TCP Data Transfers: A Practical Model and its Application", 2nd examiner James Sterbenz, defense passed on 25 June 2010 at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
- Kashif Munir, "Admission and Congestion Control for Deadline Constrained Data Transfers", 2nd examiner Renato Lo Cigno, defense passed on 29 May 2009 at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
- Murtaza Yousaf, "Accurate Shared Bottleneck Detection and File Transfer Delay Prediction for Grid Scheduling", 2nd examiner Renato Lo Cigno, defense passed on 18 December 2008 at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
- Marcel Marek, routing in RINA (see the OCARINA project for more details).
- Qian Li, How can applications benefit from transport-layer mechanisms such as support for per-flow priorities.
- Simone Ferlin, MPTCP.
- Nguyen Anh Tuan, "Adaptation and Robustness in Peer-to-Peer Streaming", main advisor Frank Eliassen, defense passed May 2011 at the University of Oslo, Norway.
- Inofficial support:
- Sven Hessler, "Protection of Data Networks by Enforcing Congestion Control on UDP Flows", main advisor Max Mühlhäuser, 2nd examiner Alexander Schill, defense passed on 27 October 2008 at TU Darmstadt, Germany.
- Muhammad Ali, "Fault Tolerance and Error Control in 2D Mesh-based Networks on Chip", main advisor Sybille Hellebrand, 2nd examiner Max Mühlhäuser, defense passed June 2008 at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
Member of defense committee
- Toke H°iland-J°rgensen, "On the Bleeding Edge - Debloating Internet Access Networks", Karlstad University, December 2016 (licentiate thesis).
- Helge Backhaus, "Protokoll-agnostische Netzwerkdienste und netzunterstützte Datentransportaufwertung durch den Einsatz von Zwischensystemen", Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), July 2016.
- Richard Withnell, "Cooperative Resource Pooling in Multihomed Mobile Networks", Lancaster University, March 2016.
- Nuruddeen Mohammed Iya, "A Multi-Strategy Approach for Congestion-Aware Real-Time Video", University of Aberdeen, November 2015.
- Varun Singh, "Protocols and Algorithms for Adaptive Multimedia Systems", Aalto University, June 2015.
- Bortasz Bogdanski, "Optimized Routing for Fat-Tree Topologies", University of Oslo, August 2014 (administator of the committee).
- Addisu Eshete, "Stateless and Statelet Flow Protection for the Internet", NTNU Trondheim, November 2012.
- Dominik Kaspar, "Multipath Aggregation of Heterogeneous Access Networks", University of Oslo, January 2012 (administator of the committee).
- Israfil Biswas, "Internet congestion control for variable rate TCP traffic", University of Aberdeen, January 2012.
- Ahmed Elmokashfi, "On BGP Inter-domain Routing: an Investigation of Scalability with Respect to Churn", University of Oslo, May 2011 (administator of the committee).
- Matthias Röckl, "Cooperative Situation Awareness in Transportation", University of Innsbruck, Austria, December 2009.
- Andrés Arcia, "Modifications du mécanisme d'acquittement du protocole TCP: évaluation et application aux résaux filaires et sans fils", Telecom Bretagne, Rennes, France, December 2009.
- Andreas Petlund, "Latency-reducing transport protocol mechanisms for thin-stream applications", University of Oslo, Norway, December 2009 (administator of the committee).
- Roberto Cascella, "Application of Reputation Management Systems in Autonomic Communication Networks", University of Trento, Italy, November 2007.
- David Hayes
- Werner Heiß (at University of Innsbruck, Austria)
Last update: 6. March 2017
Back to Michael's page